Latest News‎ > ‎

MacLochlainn Roadmarkings MSHC Sars' Maintain Winning Sequence

posted 15 Jun 2010, 01:35 by Unknown user


MacLochlainn Roadmarkings MSHC Sars' Maintain Winning Sequence Sarsfields 0-14 Drom-Inch 3-4

County champions Thurles Sarsfields maintained their winning sequence in the MacLochlainn Roadmarkings Mid Senior Hurling champions when they had a point to spare over rivals Drom-Inch in a disappointing clash at Holycross on Sunday evening.

This was a game which never really lived up the billing and the stop/start nature of proceedings made for a frustrating time for spectators many of whom had perceived this as the game of the round robin system in the division. But, they were mistaken and while proceedings were close all the way through, the hurling fell well below the expected standard.

Perhaps it was the level of familiarity between the sides which accounted for much of the tension between them, and ultimately much of the poor hurling. It was scrappy, but intense with as much emphasis on preventing each other from hurling than actually playing themselves. In such a scenario Drom-Inch were always going to find it hard to out hurl the Thurles lads and their return of just seven scores in the hour emphasised as much.

Drom-Inch got off to the perfect start in the game though with Paddy Kennedy goalling after just 3 minutes, just after Pa Bourke had pointed from a free for Sarsfields. The Thurles lads did not seem to be over perturbed by the Kennedy blast though and fired over points from Bourke again, Stephen Lillis and Ger O’Grady to hit the front again.

However, they were rocked when Michael Everard blasted a second Drom-Inch goal in the 16th minute and it took them some time to regain their composure with Bourke, Richie Ruth and O’Grady once more bringing the sides level.

Sarsfields lost Kevin O’Gorman through injury just before the break with Jim Corbett coming into the side at midfield and a degree of reshuffling occurring in defence. And, the sides were to go in level at the break with Seamus Callanan and the impressive Michael Cahill pointing before the end to leave the score at 2-2 to 0-8 at the interval. Seamus Callanan had a chance to give Drom-Inch a third goal but Sarsfields keeper Patrick McCormack stood tall and beat the injury time effort away.

Spectators hoped to see better fare in the second half but they were to be disappointed somewhat. Drom-Inch were having a right go at the Thurles lads with the likes of Declan Ryan, John Lillis, David Collins and Eamon Buckley to the fore. But, if the goals dried up they would struggle, especially if Sarsfields had Pa Bourke and Ger O’Grady on the ball often enough. Lar Corbett was not in the match as much as Sarsfields would have wished.

John Joe Bourke, caught a rare glimpse of goal when the Sarsfields full forward shook off the shackles of Martin Butler and blasted an effort off the Drom-Inch crossbar in the first minute after resumption before Aidan McCormack got on the scoresheet in the 6th. Drom-Inch responded thanks to Seamus Callanan and David Collins to go in front again, but Michael Gleeson levelled immediately for Sarsfields.

Amazingly, Drom-Inch were not to score for another 21 minutes and this proved their undoing as the Thurles lads found the scores to seal the win.

While the momentum of the game was interrupted time and again through injuries, Sarsfields did manage to find a rhythm with four unanswered scores – three from the accurate and creative Pa Bourke and one from Michael Gleeson again. In the interim, Tipp star Michael Cahill took a mighty heavy shot from Drom-Inch’s Declan Ryan and looked to be in serious trouble. The shot- a fair shoulder it has to be said – would have shaken the foundations of Killahara Castle, but Cahill was on his feet after a few moments and hurled out the game with great gusto and drive. Vintage stuff from Cahill.

Drom-Inch were awarded a penalty deep in injury time after Seamus Callanan was fouled and the Tipp star made no mistake to cut the deficit to a point. A half chance followed seconds later for an equaliser, but Sarsfields had done enough and held on to maintain their 100 per cent championship record.

Despite their second championship defeat of the season Drom-Inch will feel that they upped their performance considerably on previous outings. They are still in transition though and will be worried about their erratic shooting– they drove 16 wides in the hour but will perhaps take a positive from the fact that the created so many chances. Best for them on the night were David Collins, Declan Ryan, Johnny Ryan, John Lillis and Shane Dempsey.

Sarsfields, short a number of regulars including last years Captain Johnny Enright, did just about enough to see the win through. Their hurling was crisp and sharp at times, but they will perhaps be concerned that only 0-2 came from the inside forward division. And, apart from John Joe Bourkes blast, they never really threatened a goal.

Still, they had fine performances from Michael Cahill, Michael Gleeson, Alan Kennedy, David Maher, Ger O’Grady and of course Pa Bourke who was their scorer in chief.

Teams and Scorers: Sarsfields: P McCormack, David Maher, P Maher, K O’Gorman, S Lillis 0-1, M Cahill 0-1, B Dwyer, A Kennedy, M Gleeson 0-2, G O’Grady 0-1, P Bourke 0-6, L Corbett, R Ruth 0-1, JJ Bourke, A McCormack. Subs: J Corbett for K O’Gorman; Denis Maher for J Corbett.

Drom-Inch: D Young, M Costelloe, M Butler, James Ryan, Johnny Ryan, E Buckley, S Dempsey, D Ryan, J Lillis, S Butler, S Callanan 1-3, D Butler, D Collins 0-1, P Kennedy 1-0, M Everard 1-0. Subs: E Walsh for Everard; Matthew Ryan for D Butler.

Referee: M Ryan (Moyne Templetuohy)