Latest News‎ > ‎

Div 1 Junior League Final - McCormack Goal Proves Decisive for Sars'

posted 9 Jun 2010, 06:57 by Unknown user   [ updated 15 Jun 2010, 01:41 ]
Published Date: 10 June 2010
By Noel Dundon

Thurles Sarsfields claimed the Mid Junior League Division 1 title at Holycross on Sunday evening last with a Barry McCormack goal two minutes after the half time break proving the decisive score in a keenly contested affair.

With conditions perfect for this final, the exchanges proved very close all the way through. Indeed, scores were at a premium throughout with a quite a lot of erratic shooting from both sides proving frustrating. The Sarsfields lads managed to strike a whopping 16 wides in the hour and probably counted themselves lucky not to have paid a heavy price for this, especially considering the close nature of proceedings.

Moycarkey Borris started the better in the game and were 0-2 to the good after seven minutes thanks to efforts from Paidi Doran and Daniel Kirby. Sarsfields took some time to settle but once  they found their range they had scores from Jim Mackey (2) and Stephen Fewer to give them the lead – Mackey's score from play a real gem from under the stand.

The Sarsfields full forward traded another point with Moycarkey Borris' Cathal Ryan but a brace of Daniel Kirby points before the break gave his side a 0-5 to 0-4 interval lead – low scoring indeed for such a fine evening and for two very evenly balanced sides.

Sarsfields introduced Cian Treacy and Kevin O'Halloran at the break and they were to make a big impression. Treacy scored with his first touch to level the game and a minute later corner forward Barry McCormack had the ball in the back of the Moycarkey Borris net to put some daylight between the sides.

Sarsfields extended their lead to four points on three separate occasions in the next quarter of an hour, but Moycarkey Borris kept plugging away and cut the deficit time and again. Jim Mackey and David Shannon traded with Eamon Ryan and Daniel Kirby; Kirby again traded with Kevin O'Halloran; while Mackey swopped scores with Paidi Doran to keep interest in this game very much alive.

Tony Flanagan and Pat Ralph brought Moycarkey Borris to within a point of Sarsfields with nine to go, but Cian Treacy chipped in with a very important score for the Thurles lads followed by a 65 metre free from David Shannon to restore the three point advantage.

Try as they did Moycarkey Borris just could not break through the Sarsfields rearguard for the goal they needed with Garret Foxton and David Kearns particularly impressive alongside Rory O'Shea in the full back line.

They had to be content instead with a point from Niall Sullivan in injury time but it proved to be too little too late for them.

Sarsfields title was fashioned on the back of solid displays from David Shannon, Jim Mackey, John Connors, Cian Treacy and David Kearns, while Kevin O'Halloran and Stephen Fewer were also prominent as was Peter maher.

Best for Moycarkey Borris were Brian Lonergan, Ger Dempsey, Daniel Kirby, Paidi Doran and Eamon Ryan.

Teams and Scorers: 

Sarsfields: K Smith, G Foxton, D Kearns, R O'Shea, J Connors, D Shannon 0-2, P Maher, A Ryan, D Corbett, S Fewer 0-1, P Duggan, JP Dwan, T Collins, J Mackey 0-5, B McCormack 1-0, Subs: K Halloran 0-1 for A Ryan; C Treacy 0-2 for JP Dwan; E Tuohy for P Duggan; C Gleeson for Fewer.

Moycarkey Borris: M O'Brien, A Ryan, B Lonergan, D Hennessy, J Power, G Dempsey, E Power, G Maguire, E Ryan 0-1, D Kirby 0-5, P Doran 0-2, C Ryan 0-1, J Fanning, T Flanagan 0-1, P Ralph 0-1. Subs: J Burke for E Power; M Roche for C Ryan; N Sullivan 0-1 for J Fanning; R Quigley for T Flanagan.

Referee: T McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)